Friday, July 13, 2012

Tie Dye Me Crazy

First Blog! Wowza! 

So, I'm a Pinterest fanatic (if you love DIY projects you'll love Pinterest!) and I have been getting some fun ideas from their site. My first project was about turning those oh-so-comfy-white-jean-shorts-that-have-a-couple-of-stains-and-may-or-may-not-fit-you-anymore (Hooray for weight loss!) and making them fun and happy again! Also my friend Melissa and I love to redo our jean shorts and posted a similar project on my Facebook wall!

TIE DYE!!


I was lucky enough to find Tumble Dye primary pack at Target on clearance for $1.98! You can find any kind of tie dye kit though and use it. Or you can pick out acrylic paint and mix 2 parts paint 1 part water in a spray bottle and use that. You will need several colors to create a tie dye effect. You can purchase the kit I used at this site. They also have other project ideas!

I laid out my white shorts in the grass because the spray set tie dye kit gets a little messy.
I started at the top of the shorts with the red paint and sprayed across the shorts(left to right), then i did the same thing with the yellow. I sprayed the yellow into the red to create and orange on top and a yellow on bottom. You will use more yellow so that you can create 3 colors... orange on top, yellow in the middle and green at the bottom when you spray the blue. So, next  I sprayed the blue into the yellow and along the bottom of the shorts to create green and blue. Since I love the color purple and it was the only color missing, I went back to the top and sprayed a small section of the red with blue paint to create purple! Flip shorts over and do it again on the back!!

HELPFUL HINT: 

Make sure to spray the inseam section because it will look awkward if it's still white. Also, spray along the outside seams. You don't have to but I did to give the shorts more color.

SUN TAN!

After I was done spraying, I laid the shorts out in the sun for 20 minutes on each side to air dry.

TUMBLE!

After the article is completely dry, heat in a dryer ALONE for 20 minutes.

TA-DA!

After you take them out of the dryer they are ready to wear! You can leave them how they are, or you can add some embellishments.

I chose some cute square glitzy buttons and sewed them on :)
 Bling, Bling! My friend Kyle calls these, Party Rocker Pants! haha
Aren't they CUTE!? Now I have no idea where I'll wear these, but I'm sure I'll stand out! I think it would look cute with a white tank top and colorful sandals!

No comments:

Post a Comment